School of Convergence Leadership
an innovative new approach to leadership development and congregational vitality
At SCL, we value innovation. Our program is based on five focus areas:
- Congregational teams
- Regional focus
- Multi-denominational cohorts
- Global/regional vision
- World-class faculty
- To liberate participants from ignorance, superficiality, blame, and shame by helping them understand the complex causes of decline in “organized religion.”
- To inspire participants with a fresh vision of Christian faith as “organizing religion” - a movement of spiritual activists organized for mission in their homes, neighborhoods, professions, communities, economies, and political arenas.
- To train participants in what instructor Brian McLaren has called “a generous orthodoxy” or “a new kind of Christianity” - a shared Christian ethos that can be expressed in a variety of denominational and cultural contexts.
- To equip senior ministers and others to develop a unified public voice to speak pastorally and prophetically into the life of their region, nation, and world.
- To articulate a shared vision for their region and develop a shared strategy for “seeking first the commonwealth and justice of God” (Matthew 6:33) in their region.
- To help the cohort agree upon and embody a shared ethos of “just and generous Christianity” that they will practice through their various congregations.
- To help regional cohorts build collaborative alliances with other like-hearted faith communities (Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, etc.) and secular groups, and to equip cohorts to interact creatively with faith communities whose vision and values differ.
- To link regional cohorts with their counterparts in other regions to build a long-term movement of just and generous Christianity in North America and beyond.
There are seven major components to the year-long program, including:
- Leadership symposia
- Monthly training webinars
- Annual senior ministers' retreat
- Professional coaching
- On-demand resources
- Resource and event discounts
- A written regional strategy